Please be advised of your rights as a passenger and take responsibility for your comfort and safety in public vehicles for hire. Passengers should enter the vehicle, be seated, close the door and instruct the driver of their destination. The driver is prohibited from denying service based on the destination. All taxis must have a functioning taximeter that can accept credit card payments. A driver may refuse service only if there is a reason to fear for their safety.
Passengers should note the following safety tips:
• Hail and enter only licensed District vehicles, and inform the driver of your destination; the passenger has the right also to inform the driver of their preferred route.
• See the Driver’s FACE CARD with the Name and Number prominently displayed on the right side passenger’s visor and on the backseat Passenger Information Monitor.
• Note the NUMBER displayed on the dome light; the letter and three numbers are the unique Public Vehicle Identification Number (PVIN) that all licensed and registered District taxicabs must have.
• Ask for a meter-generated receipt from an approved functioning taximeter; blank or handwritten receipts should not be accepted.
• See the rate sheet approved by the DC Taxicab Commission affixed to the rear door, seat, or rear vent window.
• Do NOT accept street hails from unlicensed or private vehicles. Private vehicles may ONLY be summoned electronically through an approved app.
• You are to be taken driven directly to your destination in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
• All service animals are transported free of charge.
• If you feel threatened in a private or public vehicle for hire call 911 with your location.
If you feel you have not been treated unfairly contact the DC Taxicab Commission at (855) 484-4966 24 hours a day/7 days a week or submit your complaint to DC taxi complaints.