The Commission held a public hearing on newly adopted regulations that will allow the Commission to implement the requirements for installation of a new Taxi Smart Meter System and New Dome Lights in all operating taxicabs and other public vehicles for hire no later than January 1, 2013. The regulations also implement the collection of a new 50 cents passenger surcharge for each ride in a public vehicle for hire in order to pay for the new TSMS System and to otherwise fund the operations of the Commission. Finally, the regulations provide for the licensing of TSMS and Dome Light installers. The requirements for the TSMS system and the collection of the passenger surcharge were contained in Emergency Legislation enacted by the Council on July 10, 2012 and signed by Mayor Vincent C. Gray on July 24, 2012.
The regulations were adopted by the Commission as emergency and proposed rulemaking on July 18, 2012 and were published July 27, 2012 in the DC Register.
- Rulemaking Chapter 5: Taxicab Companies, Associations and Fleets
- Rulemaking Chapter 6: Taxicab Parts and Equipment
- Rulemaking Chapter 8: Operation of Taxicabs
- Rulemaking Chapter 11: Taxicabs and Public Vehicles for Hire
- Rulemaking Chapter 13: Licensing and Operations of Taxi Meter Companies
- Rulemaking Chapter 15: Licensing and Operations of Dome Light Installation Companies
The regulations will be in effect for the next 120 days, as allowed for emergency rules.
The Commission held a Public Hearing on August 22, 2012 to hear from the public on these regulations, in order to determine whether any changes needed to be made that will ensure that the concerns of the public vehicle for hire industry and the general public are fully incorporated into the final regulations adopted by the Commission. The hearing began at 10 am in the Old Council Chambers, located on the first floor of 441 4th Street, NW.