April 1, 2016
Examination Process for a Taxicab and/or Sedan/Limousine Operator's License
The DC Taxicab Commission (DCTC) will process applicants for a Taxicab and/or Sedan/Limousine Operator’s License examination on a walk-in basis. The examination will be given ONLY on Fridays at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm. Please arrive 30 minutes prior to testing. Individuals who want to obtain a Taxicab and/or Sedan/Limousine Operator’s License shall report to DCTC, 2235 Shannon Place, SE, Suite 2001, Washington, DC. Visitors to the building must show identification and pass through the metal detector. The Application for a New Public Vehicle Operator’s License must be completed prior to taking the exam and you must also bring the necessary documents listed on the application. Failure to bring the required documents will result in you not being allowed to take the exam. You will be provided with the results of your examination upon completion of the exam.
Please note: Fingerprints do not need to be obtained until after successful completion of the examination.
Interested persons should report to the DCTC Office with the following:
- Application for New Public Vehicle Operator’s License (fully completed)
- Money order payable to DC Treasurer or credit/debit card to pay the exam fee ($100) and fingerprint fee ($49.50) for a total of $149.50. Once the applicant passes the exam and the background check is completed the following applicable licensing fees shall be paid: taxi $125; limousine $150; taxi/limousine $275.
- A valid driver’s license (must have lived in the DC metropolitan area for at least one year)
- A valid Social Security card (original card, no copies or paperwork)
- Immigration documentation, if applicable (must have proof of residency & authorization to work)
- Two (2) full-faced color passport photographs with white background
The application can be downloaded from the DCTC website, along with the attached study guide for the taxicab exam and the sedan/limo exam.